Powered by WebAds

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Who knew?

Sometimes you run across a story that breaks the image you have in your mind of a certain gadol. I never imagined Rav Soloveitchik as the type to ask tzaddikim to daven for something. I don't know why, it just didn't fit with my mental image of him, I just always figured he would feel it sufficient to daven himself.

I found the following in Tzaddik Yesod Olam by Simcha Raz:


משחלתה אשתו של איש השכל וההגיון הצרוף, הגאון הרב י"ד סולובייצ'יק מבוסטון, הריץ הלה איגרת לר' אריה וביקשו שיתפלל להחלמתה. כשבקרתיו, הראה לי ר' אריה את המכתב ושאלני: חפץ אני להתפלל לשלומה, וברצוני להיות בטוח, הקורא אני נכון את שמה, "טוניא"?


When the wife of HaGaon HaRav Yosef Dov Soloveitchik of Boston became sick, [Rav Soloveitchik] sent a letter to Rav Aryeh [Levine] and asked that he pray for her recovery. When I visited him, Rav Aryeh showed me the letter and asked me: 'I wish to pray for her wellfare, and I want to be sure, am I reading her name correctly, "Tonya"?