Powered by WebAds

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Then the Satan said

In light of the various "peace plans" circulating around the blogosphere. I wanted to bring a poem by Natan Alterman. I will not argue the Torah sources at this point since I feel there is very little chance of convincing anyone on this issue at this time. I just hope that this poem strikes a chord with people.


_ _ אז אמר השטן:הנצור הזה
איך אוכל לו.
איתו האומץ וכשרון המעשה
וכלי מלחמה ותושיה עצה לו.

ואמר:לא אטול את כוחו
ולא מורך אביא בתוכו
ולא ידיו ארפה כמיקדם,
רק זאת אעשה: אכהה מוחו
ושכח שאיתו הצדק.
_ _ _

כך דיבר השטן וכמו
חורו שמים מאימה
בראותם אותו בקומו
לבצע המזימה.

Then Satan said: "How will I overcome
this one who is under siege?
He possesses bravery, ingenuity,
weapons of war and resourcefulness."

And he said: "I'll not sap his strength,
Nor fill his heart with cowardice,
nor overwhelm him with discouragement
As in days gone by.
I will only do this:
I will cast a shadow of dullness over his mind
until he forgets that justice is with him."

----

This is what the Satan said and it was as if
the heavens trembled in fear
as they saw him rise
to execute his plan.